Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Too young for online/ digital literacy ?...maybe not

At what age can online/digital literacy activities be integrated into the classroom?  When I read this question I immediately thought of my 3 year old son.  He has been engaging in digital literacy since he was 2.  He watches videos online, listens to digital stories through bookflix, and plays educational games on various websites.  While researching the web in search of evidence that would support my choice to use digital literacy activities with my son and my students students, I found a video titled  "A video of k-12 students today".  In the video children of all ages give thier reasons for wanting technology in the classroom...very interesting check it out...

2 comments:

  1. That's a great video to get us thinking as teachers. Often we as people become convinced that the way we learned is the way everyone should learn, but times change and we as educators need to lead students forward, not be led by them.
    Brian udell (Judy Arzt class at USJ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting how quickly digital learning has entered schools at an early age. I remember four years ago, when I had my son, so many parents were sharing their thoughts on not letting their children watch television until they are three or four. I wonder how they feel now with the surge of technology aiding students in the classroom and if they would have let their young children use iPads or watch read-alouds...

    ReplyDelete